Knowing how to unclog underground drainage pipes is a crucial skill that can help you to prevent several drainage system problems. Unfortunately, clogged underground drainage pipes are inevitable due to dirt, grease, tree roots, etc., which leads to improper water drainage. Then the water will overflow in different areas around the house, which causes damages to your drainage system. Don’t worry because there are a few methods to unclog underground drainage pipes should it happen, so check them out.
Ways To Unclog Underground Drainage Pipes
Way #1: Blow Bag
A blow bag is an inflatable bladder that allows you to attach to the garden hose or other water sources. What you have to do is attach the blow bag to a garden hose then insert it into the pipe. After that, push the blow bag as far as you can into the pipe but don’t force it. The blow bag will fill up and burst out the water when you turn on the water. This creates a hydro jet-like water pressure that forces the clog to come out from the other end. Using a blow bag is an easy and simple method, and it works great with most clogs.
Way #2: Cable Rodding
As for cable rodding, it has a system that utilizes a flexible metal cable that threads into the drain systems. The special thing about this method is that it can reach around bends and joints in the pipe easily. There is a cleaning head with very sharp teeth at the end of the cable to remove all clogs. Simply connect it to an electric motor, and it will rotate the cable and that cleaning head. The sharp head then turns at a high speed, shearing off anything that causes clogging inside the drainage pipe. Once those items turn into small fragments, you can flush them away, and there is no more clogged underground pipe.
Way #3: Hydro Jetting
Just like the name suggests, this method utilizes an extremely high-pressure water jet in order to unclog underground drainage pipes. The strong water pressure will blast away and decimate all accumulations that cause the pipe to clog. From leaves to tree roots and more, hydro jetting is the right method for them all. The incredible thing about its equipment is that its nozzle disperses multiple water jets in all directions. That way, you can trust that all clogs and debris will surely leave your underground drainage pipe for good.
This video will show you how powerful hydro jetting is:
Way #4: Picote Milling Machine
In case there are stubborn debris and tree roots that the 3 methods above cannot get rid of, this one will. A Picote milling machine is a machine with high power, and you can attach different types of heads to it. It can deal with any type of blockage easily by grinding and cutting through all those blockages, which is the main cause of the clog of your drainage pipe. We talk about all stubborn clogs, no exceptions.
Let’s see how a Picote milling machine works in the video:
Underground Drainage Clogging Signs
You have to notice the signs of underground drainage clogging before things get serious. If you are late, wastewater may come back up into your fixtures or up through floor drains. Below are some signs that indicate that you have a clog in the main sewer drain line.
- Drains: There are foul odors from the drains along with slow draining in the shower or sink.
- Toilets: A toilet does not flush properly, or it gurgles when water is running down a sink or tub. Toilet overflow is also another sign of clogged underground pipe.
- Tubs: Fills with wastewater, and the drain in the shower does not drain the water fast and properly.
- Washing Machine: The water that drains out of the washing machine causes the toilet to overflow.
Some of the most common causes of clogged underground drainage pipes are:
- Feminine hygiene products
- Grease and fat
- Shampoos and soaps
- Tree roots
How To Prevent Underground Drains From Clogging
After you unclog an underground drainage pipe, follow the tips below to prevent them from happening again. You should also apply the suggestions below to prevent clogging in case it has not happened yet. Just a few easy things, so check them out.
- Avoid flushing solid items down the toilets to prevent accumulation and clogging.
- Use drain cleaner and toilet clog remover regularly so that grease or hair won’t build up.
- Sometimes, the sewer line that is damaged or cracked can also cause backed-up or slow drains. This happens more frequently when we are dealing with the old pipe. In this case, you should repair, restore, or replace the sewer line to prevent clogging.
- Introduce harmless bacterial and organisms that consume the slime and sludge in pipes into your drain system. They will begin their jobs to remove fat, grease, and oil then continue to do the work for a period of time. Once you apply the treatment regularly, clogging pipes from fat and grease won’t be a problem anymore.
- Tree roots often invade buried sewer lines which is a common source of underground drainage pipe blockage. The only effective method to get rid of them is by using hydro jetting. To discourage the expansion of three roots, create a zone of fertilization and ample water in the tree’s immediate proximity.
Among some of the most important house maintenance, the underground drainage pipe is something that you should pay attention to. The good thing is that there are certain things that you can do to prevent it from clogging. In case you are too late, there are always methods to take care of those problems. You can always call the professionals to do the job for you. It is easier and faster. If you prefer doing it by yourself, some of the tips above will be helpful.